Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Day Four : Do as I say, Not as I Do




I am probably the worst doggie foster parent in the world.  You see, when you agree to foster, you are given this very handy document of instructions. 

{paraphrase}

1. If the dog is coming from a shelter, you should keep in mind that he may be contagious, so it is wise to place the crate in a position where your own dogs cannot stick there noses in – perhaps another room, at least until you have had a chance to get the dog cleared by a vet. (If your own dogs are fully vaccinated and healthy, there is very little risk, but do not take unnecessary chances. 

2. DO NOT allow the dog to move around without a leash or long line for at least the first couple of days.   

...and so on and so on. It's an excellent guide ;) 


Things that must NOT occur during decompression
  • Meeting people outside the foster family 
  • Meeting other dogs or other animals 
  • Taking the dog to unknown environments (Petsmart, Parks etc)
  • Taking the dog for walks outside the established safe environment of your back yard
  • Activities that require extensive handling of the dog, like grooming 
  • Unnecessary trips in the car
  • Long period of time petting and touching the dog 
  • Demanding obedience commands such as “Sit”, “Stay,” “Down,” 
  • Being allowed to wander in the yard unleashed or unattended 
  • Being allowed to wander within the house from room to room 


I think I have broken every rule.

1. I should have never "introduced" the world to Olive until after she had a vet visit & clear health.
2. I should not have introduced her to my animals & the neighbor's dog.
3. I should have never started obedience commands like sit & come.
4. I allow her to wander the backyard with minimal supervision (my backdoor is open).
5. I allow her to wander the house (when I am home & with her).

I could go on and on.

My point. She has done BEAUTIFULLY in spite of all my short comings. She is adapting, she is learning to trust & she is slowly relaxing.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Today's progress of Olive, my first IDOG foster dog & the sweetest foster dog ever. Please consider adopting this baby.

1. A clean bill of health from the vet!!!! Negative heart worm, fecal, ear mites etc. (but she does have 2 ear infections that I am treating).
2. This is happening. Yes, her new family can blame me.




3. Still no potty accidents.
4. Walks on a leash.
5. Loves the car.
6. When I am home, she is my shadow. When I am away from the home, she is in her crate. I also crate her at night.
7. She did not eat dinner tonight :(
8. She still is not playing or chewing bones.





I will continue to post daily pictures, information & video of this sweet girl named Olive. My prayers are that you will help me to find her a forever home.

Be sure to read Day One & Day Two.
~Christy~

If you are interested in adopting Olive, please email Jo-Anne Cousins, rescue@idogrescue.com or fill out an adoption application at IDOG.


6 comments:

  1. What a sweet girl - I love your sharing - we are doodle owners, so we know how sweet they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breaks my heart. She is safe now & everyday gets easier. Thank you for your sweet words & thoughts. Doodle Prayers tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a little sweetie! You are wonderful for being such a loving foster mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emailed! I hope to hear that she loves to play! I have a doodle who dearly wants a friend. We have looked into adopting or fostering recently plus we are in Texas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christy, I am so glad Olive found a new home! I read through all of your posts and I feel in love! You are SUCH a great foster mom! Thank you for inspiring me at Create With Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi , does Olive still need to find her forever home?? I am currently looking for a young lab / golden doodle. (I live in Minnesota)

    ReplyDelete